The Cretan Brotherhood is a community organisation that aims to:
- Foster, preserve and promote Hellenic and Cretan culture and traditions;
- Be a hub for services, support, social activity and networking for people of Cretan heritage living in Victoria and their friends;
- Make a positive contribution to the community, including the local community in Moreland the wider Greek community in Melbourne.
The club’s current activities include:
- A Dance Academy in which traditional Cretan dancing is taught to children from as young as 3 years of age up to youth in their twenties. The academy’s dance groups perform in traditional Cretan costume at community festivals, commemorations, functions, schools, aged care centres and the like.
- Annual commemoration of the Battle of Crete. An important event in both Cretan and Australian history. Refer below for more details.
- Regular social and cultural activities including commemorations, dinner dances, luncheons and fetes.
Provision of the club’s hall and facilities for use by the local community including schools and neighbourhood groups.